Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sorry, kid, I want you to get a real law degree...

Can you imagine being a hard-working parent who is not looking for a handout--I mean a bail out--who scrimps, saves, sacrifices, and takes out loans up the yinyang (that, something new and different, you fully intend to repay on schedule) in order to help your kid achieve his dream of getting his law degree, and opening up the newspaper to find that one of the kid's professors had written this piece of excrement? I'd be a wee bit disheartened.

I'm not a lawyer (al'humdulelah), nor am I recognized expert in military law. But I am the guy who goes to jail if I make a fundamentally unsound decision on the battlefield, so I know a little bit. I apparently know way, way more than Professor Bisharat. This essay is so unbelievably wrong, it is hard to critique. It has its facts wrong, is has its history wrong, and it has its interpretation of the Law of War wrong. Other than that, I guess it's not too bad.

If one follows the article to its logical conclusion, then almost any act of war constitutes a war crime. Parents busting hump to get Junior through the Hastings College of Law in San Francisco must be so proud. It's okay to be anti-war and/or anti-Israel, but at least make your arguments honest. I've got to wonder if this guy wrote the essay in crayon on that big-lined paper with the dashed line down the middle.

Next up, Law of War fingerpainting!

No comments:

Post a Comment